SELNET Project aim to improve sarcoma patients management and quality of care. Patients are the cornerstone of the project and they are represented within the Consortium through Sarcoma Patients EuroNet Association (SPAEN).
SPAEN aims to improve information services, patient support and advocacy to patient organizations for the benefit of sarcoma patients across the whole of Europe and internationally.
Sarcomas are a diverse and relatively rare group of malignancies, accounting for slightly more than 1% of all cancer diagnoses in adults and for nearly 21% of all solid malignant cancers in children and young adults. Sarcomas can occur at any age and are not restricted to a specific location of the body. Sarcomas are often misdiagnosed, as they can arise anywhere in or on the body, frequently hidden deep in the limbs. Sometimes they are thought to be sports injuries and thus treated incorrectly. When eventually diagnosed, they may be large and difficult to remove surgically and they may have metastasized.
The rarity of the disease combined with the diverse number of subtypes can make sarcomas very difficult to treat correctly as well as to study. Therefore, please remember: Sarcomas need to be treated by specialists, in specialized centers!
For more information about sarcoma visit:
- Sarcoma Patients Euronet (SPAEN): www.sarcoma-patients.eu/en/ecademy
- Asociación Española de Afectados por Sarcoma (AEAS): www.aeasarcomas.org
- Asociación Española Contra el Cáncer (AECC): www.aecc.es
- Sarcoma UK: www.sarcoma.org.uk
- Fundación “La sonrisa de Alex” (contra el sarcoma de Ewing): www.lasonrisadealex.com
- Asociación VyDA: www.asociacionvyda.org
- Fundación Mari Paz Jiménez Casado: www.fundacionmaripazjimenez.org
- Colectivo GIST España: www.colectivogist.wordpress.com
- Fundación GIST Mexico: www.fundaciongist.org